Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sleeping in the Improved Rockin Chick Hotel

I waited until the Barred Rocks got done arguing over who was going to be where last night.  We took out the ladder roost and left one crossways roost that was closet dowel.  We added two long 2"x3" roosts going the length of the coop.  I had fun listening to them, one was hanging over and she was either encouraging the others to come on up or saying you are out of luck, I was here first.  As it got dark I opened the coop and fetched all six of the young girls and one by one put them in the new section of the coop.  It was easy because of the wonderful door my husband put on that end.  The whole egg box swings open.  We made the two new roosts at two levels because I know the Polish, Diller and Sassy, don't go up too high and I put them in first and I put Miss Daisy, our Black Australorp, next to them on the low roost and the other three on the higher roost.  I then went into the run and closed up the Little Red Coop that the kids were sleeping in just in case someone got back out when I wasn't looking.  Tonight should be interesting to see if they go in the big one themselves or??  They are usually in their little coop before the big girls go to bed. 
I got all the trim painted yesterday while he made the roosts.  Today I am going to go out and clean out the shavings in the coop, spray for bugs, sprinkle diatomaceous earth, and put new bedding in.  I will then take pictures after we take out the Little Red Coop and post them of inside and out.

No comments:

Post a Comment