Friday, March 31, 2017

Settled Down A Bit

It has been a stressful week.  I have been trying to milk Dahlia to no avail, as a failure.  I think I was too stressed and too much trying to be perfect.  We made a home made milker which didn't work for shit out of a Fresh Seal pump.  I'll be returning it today.  I ordered the Henry Milker yesterday.  I actually sat and milked her this morning and did very good.  I'm washing off with peppermint castile soap and using coconut oil on her nipples and it is much smoother.  She can't jump onto the milk stand so I have a small pallet on bricks so we can reach better that I tie her to.  This morning I tied her up, let them feed, I milked her, then I let them feed again before I let her go.
She won't have anything to do with the babies so I've used the separation in the pen that we made for Dakota and baby proofed it for them.  I leave them in it during the day (with the cat carrier to run into) so she can hear them and see them and tie her to the fence to let them feed during the day and at night I'm bottle feeding them.  I didn't have enough milk so have been using milk and half & half at night.  I should not have to use it any more now that I'm getting better at milking and have the Henry Milker on the way.
I'm hoping that she will get used to them and take them back.  I really wish I lived in a bigger place and I could keep all of them.  But that isn't going to happen!
Today will be the last day of her shots, yay!  The first couple of days were easy because she just laid there.  I had to give 3 a day.  Today is the last day and it's only 5 cc. penicillin.

No comments:

Post a Comment