Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Baby Goat Arrival, March 26th.

Dahlia was due either on the 29th or 25th.  The first calculator I used said the 29th.  The second said the 25th.
When I did morning cleanup Dahlia talked to me in a different tone and I thought nothing about it.  I did have the small section separated to put Dakota in when the time came, so I was mostly ready. 
I went out at 5pm to let them wander like I usually do and I closed the gate and got their food in the bin so it would be ready when I take them back, they usually want to go back in more if they know that strawberries or/and banana peels are waiting. But, Dahlia wouldn't leave the gate, she stayed there so I let her back in and she was really talking to me then.  At this point I called my breeder and she said, oh, yes, she'll have them within the next 12 hours.
After I hang up, I go in and get my box of goat stuff I have ready gloves, ky, towels, and more.  She went over and laid next to the street broom and was pushing.  Now, we're serious, I called my friend, Theresa who has raised goats and sheep for 20 years because she said she would come.  Thank god, she did because was amazing!  The first boy came out with a bang, Dahlia cleaned him and we were calling him Marco Polo (who is brown and black with the most amazing face) because he kept wandering around and she'd get up and chase him, then go back and lay down.
A couple of hours went by and our crowd was gathering and Theresa gloved up and went in.  She found the head and both front hooves, one was a bit off but he only came out half way.  She pulled, felt around, all felt right, I tried pulling and then Steve gloved up and tried.  At this point it was getting dark and we called the emergency vet at Manzanita Animal Hospital and we got the goat vet. J.D. Anderson. 
We loaded Dahlia up in the wheelbarrow with this goat kid half way out and we met him at the back rollup door which Theresa had used in the past.  She has a plastic liner in the back of her vehicle.  I'll be getting one.  Dr. Anderson tried to get it out, he tried turning it and we ended up with an emergency C-Section.  He already knew that goats don't do anesthesia and instead they rolled her onto her back in a v-cushion right there on the floor mats, tied back legs stretched out one way and front the other.  I was on the floor holding her head and talking to her through the whole thing.  He did a local in her belly and cut her open.  First we found Amazing Grace, my doe, still waiting her turn, she is white with spots.  Then the second one that was stuck was still there, he had to pull him back inside from the inside.  He had a huge belly and dr. said that he had some internal problem that caused his belly to blow up like a balloon which is why he wouldn't  come out.  Later, he used a syringe and got out all fluid when he checked. 
He then started putting her back together and they used saline solution with betadine in it and washed each bit off as he stitched and put everything back in.  He gave her a shot for the pain and antibiotics and I came home with two meds I have to shoot her with every day for a few days.
I spent the night sleeping in a chair in the goat shed listening to her breathe with two babies on my lap.  I milked her as needed to try to get them to eat and bottle fed them.  I froze my ass off. 
Dakota bailed out of the area in the beginning and Steve had to fix a wall so he couldn't leap from their bench over and he was very confused.   He more or less yelled all night.  He didn't have his friend next to him and there wasn't enough room for him inside.
I had a long night, I still hadn't got the doe to eat and I had a melt down.  Our friend Dick came before lunch and hung out, then I finally got her to eat.  Theresa came and did my first shots for me and I did the second one later.  I have been tying her up and making her stand and trying to get the kids to suck off her and she wants nothing to do with them.  I attach them to drink and then I milk all I can which I've never done in my life and she is so mellow since she's in pain.  They stayed inside last night and I let her rest.  I had a full bottle and I fed them before I want to bed and again in 3 am when they were bumping around in the cat carrier.  Right now they have been playing down here in my studio where we have tile and a floor carpet and let them play after I fed them.  I'm  hoping that as she feels better and I keep making them feed off her that she will still take them on. She was amazing with the first one but after the trauma she wants nothing to do with them, she butts them away.






1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness what a trauma for all of you poor goat family! My Oma in Germany had three kids one morning in a cold spring...it was fun playing with baby goats and pigs and rabbits when I was growing up.
    I hope the best for the recovery and that momma goat will forgive her kids and let them suckle...
    Big hugs to you and be sure to get some heat for those cold nights that you sit watch...
    Love Karla

    ReplyDelete