Thursday, May 11, 2017

Milking is postponed and chick update

I finally decided that I should let Grace feed in the morning instead of milking Dahlia.  This way she gets a meal first off in the morning.  Marco Polo gets to eat all the time but Grace only gets what she can suck down 3 times a day.  I have not seen Dahlia feed her in-between me making her so I'll keep it up.  I am putting her on the stand morning and night so Grace can feed and giving her sweet feed and I hold her in place in the middle of the day so Grace can eat.  She's thriving so I guess she's doing okay.  She does get very vocal if I'm late in the middle of the day.
I have found a home for both of them.  My price is reduced drastically but I know it is the right thing to do unless I want to keep two more goats.
I'm still wondering on my decision to have a doe and a wether.  It would have been so much easier to just have two wethers.  Dakota is so mellow, and FAT and Dahlia stresses starting at 4 pm for when I go out around 5.  She still runs around the pen, gets to the gate, yells, rolls her head and circles again.  I'm glad my neighbors don't mind.  But at least she only does it once a day now.  We haven't hiked in forever, my left knee is giving me fits but I plod on.  I've lost 5# and I have no idea how. 
I lost one of the white leghorn chicks, she just never looked up to par.  But the other three are thriving, mom takes care of them and shows them food.  I'm still amazed that no one bothers them.  I  also found that they have mites again.  Every spring we have mites.  I need to spray them and all the coop and run once a week for the next 3 weeks again.  I think I'll get rid of the straw.  No more straw.  Pine shavings it is from now on and we'll see how next spring turns out.  One day last week I went out and found my speckled Sussex dead.  They had been picking on her comb and making her bleed but who knows. 

No comments:

Post a Comment