Wednesday, February 26, 2014

New Kids

The new chicks are doing fine and eating and running around so I'm happy.  Only a few months of having them inside :) and then I'll make a place for them to live for a bit before putting them with the big girls.
The old girls are doing well, I'm getting 9 eggs a day recently and keeping up with it by selling the extra's.  We do have eggs for dinner usually one day a week.  I also hard boil some for snacks.
My polish, Diller, has laid her eggs outside in the run almost half of the time.  I'm thinking about making a portable nest box out of a cat litter box and mounting it out in the run to see if she will use it instead for the summer.  We'll see.  I took out the swing since no one liked it.
I have the wood to make the lid for the planter box for the run but haven't had time to make it yet.  Last year I made the frame and put wire over the top and I couldn't get into it.  So, this year I am putting a hinged lid on the other side and I can open it to plant and remove stuff.  I'm also going to put a bottom on it so the grass can't grow up through it like it did last year.  So many things to do and lots of time! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment