Thursday, March 6, 2014

Roses and Trimming and just plain Stuff

I have spent the last week or so trimming roses.  I have 63 of them.  Yep, 63...    (which is about 30 less than I used to have) I only do it every couple of years.  Cut back, decide what to keep.  Decide if the rose is on it's last leg, cut out dead stuff and make them look decent yet again.  We hauled two trailer loads of yard trimmings to the dump.  I dug out other bushes that were pain in the butts, and relocated some others.  I still have a couple to go but they might get to stay until I'm ready to add the second raised bed there.  Right now, our veggie garden is in the front yard.  Steve ran a water pipe out to it and built a sprinkler water system.  In the raised bed we are going to put it on auto water and put a soaker hose under about 6" of dirt or maybe by then make wicking beds.  Still thinking about that.
I am clearing out what used to be our tortoise pen.  I used to have a desert area planted specifically for the tortoise and what they ate.  I am now putting raised garden beds in there instead.  I am going to make a 3 block wide and 12 block long bed and start with one layer.  When I get the one layer of blocks set I will fill in with compost that we have made with yard scraps and chicken yard scraps.  Our compost bin is full and we need to empty part of it before we can add anything else to it.  My plan is to fill up the inside of my raised bed blocks and then put bed frames over it so the cats can't use it for a litter box and after it sits a while I'll add another layer of bricks until it gets 3 high.  But in the mean time will just keep filling it with my compost but not planting in it for now.  By next year it should be ready, three blocks high, and full of compost and potting soils.
I'll try and add some pictures soon, the yard looks very empty since we also cleared off the back fence of all the honeysuckle that was on it and we have a great view of our trashy neighbors.  That will be fixed soon as we are putting shade cloth on the fence AFTER we do the sides of the pontoon boat/solar structure.  I get the leftovers for the fence out of the 100 ft. roll.

No comments:

Post a Comment