Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Home Made Chalk Paint & A Wine Rack

I found this cute wine rack at a yard sale, it said $10, I got it for $7.  It is a perfect little table to start with only about a foot wide by two foot long.  It was a dark brown wood when I started.  I wanted to try out making my own chalk paint and found a recipe on Lowes.com. 
I bought two samples of paint at Home Depot and had them color them for me.  I also bought two empty pint cans and found two mixer blades at a thrift shop that I use with my drill to mix.
The recipe at Lowes is:
8 oz. flat paint
3 T. water
3 T. plaster of paris.
I poured the paint in the can, then added the water and plaster of paris to the sample jar and mixed it in there and then poured that into the can with the rest of the paint and then mixed it.
The tan color did very well but for some reason the green seemed a bit thin.  I used it anyway and after this project was done I added 4 oz. of flat exterior tan to it and another tablespoon of plaster of paris and I like it much better now.  I also know that it needs mixed very well each use to mix it all in.
My previous project I used Annie Sloan's Chalk paint.  At $45 a can and I can't remember what the wax was but it wasn't cheap.  I still have most of that can.  I use Minwax water based Express Color for antiqueing.  I use a damp sponge to put it on a couple of sides and then wipe off until I like it.  You can only do bits at a time because it dries very fast.  When the wax runs out I will use Minwax Past Wax because it is probably the same but much cheaper.  I am fairly happy with the way the home made turned out so will not spend that much on a can of name brand again. :)
It is a cool piece that has space for 12 bottles and has a wine glass rack under the top.  It is solid wood and well worth the $7 and the time to play with the paints.


No comments:

Post a Comment